GHC-Rpi CodeChix workshop (Beginners)
Setup and Notes for Grace Hopper Conference India Hands-on Workshop: Getting Your Hands Dirty with the RaspberryPi.
These notes are part of the CodeChix RaspberryPi workshop curriculum.
- Go to raspberrypi.org/downloads and get the Wheezy Raspbian image (get the latest)
- Follow the steps to prepare your SD card with the image that you downloaded - http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setup#Using_the_Linux_command_line
- Insert the SD card into the Rpi
- Connect the Rpi via HDMI to a monitor. Also, connect a USB keyboard and mouse (if needed). If you are inclined towards avoiding GUI's (like me), you don't need the mouse.
- Power on the Rpi
- Login - Uname: pi, Passwd: raspberry (don't forget the "p")
- Configure settings: sudo raspi-config
- Follow the menu and configure your network, keyboard and other peripherals
- You can also go use: http://www.raspberrypi.org/quick-start-guide
- Install the Python GPIO module - pip install RPi.GPIO
- Follow steps and copy over the code sample from here.